4/16/2009

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Like all respectable vampire tales, this one spans centuries. However, that is where the similarity ends because I have never read a vampire tale quite like this. The protagonists span three generations. I can see someone turning this book into an epic movie or mini series. Each generation has one or more of its own historians. All are looking for the real Dracula (Prince Vlad Tepes) for both professional and personal reasons. The search for the truth will take them to several different countries and to journeys of self discovery that none anticipated.

Readers I must warn you that if you are hoping for a romance novel, this is not it. There are several love stories woven within and through the primary story, but as compelling as they may sometimes be (I wept at page 526), they take a back seat to the search for the "Dark Prince".

This is an adventure but not in the usual sense as there is really not much action (until near the end). Remember, these are historians so you can imagine their method of searching. I did not find this novel "Genuinely terrifying" as quoted from the Boston Globe but I agree it is "A thrill ride through history" as stated by the Denver Post. If you love history, traveling, and emersion into other cultures, you will love this book. It will feel as if you have been on an exotic vacation.
(Thanks to Amazon customer KiaJG "KiaJG" (Carrollton, TX United States)for this incredible review!)

Sometimes I'll go to a book store and shop for discount books. This book was a discount find. It sat on my shelf forever. I wasn't really super interested in reading it. When I finally picked it up, I couldn't put it down. The Historian is actually about Vlad "The Impaler" Dracula. Super good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment