4/16/2009

The Trial of Mary Lou by Ron Carter

One warm June day back in 1931, Mary Lou Hubbard took the worn family Winchester .30-30 from the peg on the wall of her family's cabin in Settlement, Idaho. Her sights rested on the form of Corvis Lumley rowing his way across the Snake River. He was intent on making trouble, and Mary Lou knew it. Although she loaded only enough ammunition to sink Lumley's boat and humiliate him as he sunk 20 yards from shore, he wasn't going to let her get away with it. Lumley claimed attempted murder, and so began the trial of Mary Lou Hubbard-a trial that brought together the unlikely combination of a Harvard graduate, an eighty-nine-year-old defense counselor, and a grizzled old clerk who wore the judge's black robes because the judge refused to.
(review found on: http://mormonlit.lib.byu.edu/lit_work.php?w_id=187)


Great short story. Hilarious. If I remember right, this was the first book my book club read. We had the author come and talk to us. He is really funny. He was telling us how he writes a book, and I remember he said, "I crack myself up sometimes!" I thought that was so funny. You'll love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment